PayPal customers enjoy a wide range of benefits associated with their accounts, including a full suite of experiences that include shopping, digital commerce, the ability to send money or donate to charitable causes.
We recently announced a change to our User Agreement introducing an annual inactivity fee of $20 CAD, effective November 20, 2021. The fee will only apply to accounts that have been inactive for 12 months—where the account holder has not logged in to their account or made a transaction with PayPal during that period.
The fee will only be applied to accounts that hold a PayPal balance. No fee will be charged on accounts with negative balance, and the fee will not be charged in a way that will result in a negative balance. A customer’s linked debit card or credit card on their PayPal account will not be charged.
Activating your account is easy. Here are some options:
- If you have not logged into your PayPal account in the last 12 months, before the policy comes into effect on Nov. 20, 2021, you can simply log in to your account and no fee will apply.
- Shop wherever PayPal is accepted; or
- Send money to friends & family, or vendors for goods & services; or
- Withdraw money from your account; or
- Donate to a charity with your account
We will notify impacted customers by sending two notifications by email: 30 days and 7 days before the fee will be withdrawn. The email will inform customers how to use the balance available on their account— by simply logging in or by making a transaction, withdrawing or sending money or making a donation.
If customers have any questions, they can reach us via phone or chat or send a tweet to @AskPayPal.